As much as I love doing my makeup everyday, I also love sleep! Sometimes I would much rather have a bit longer in bed before a 9AM than do a full face (I do have no-makeup days if I’m having a good skin day, but that hasn’t happened for a long time whilst I’ve been battling a skin reaction). When I want to make myself look presentable but don’t have the effort I always go back to the same, easy makeup look. I do switch the products out depending on what I’m feeling, but for the most part it doesn’t change because I know what works in minimal time.
- Concealer – On a quick makeup day I will just use concealer to target any imperfections (dark circles, redness, skin issues) and even out my skin. This is so much quicker than using foundation all over and looks a lot more natural. Right now I am using Rimmel Wake Me Up concealer (read my review here) which works well because it isn’t super high coverage so it doesn’t look odd without foundation and evens my skin out enough that I feel comfortable.
- Powder – I always set whatever base product I am wearing with powder, no matter what look I’m going for. I always want to make sure that my makeup stays put all day and keeps the shine at bay all day. Maybelline Fit Me Matte and Poreless is the powder I am loving right now because it sets my makeup, blurs my pores and keeps me matte whilst not being dry.
- Blush/Highlight – I usually will opt for a blush over a bronzer when I’m in a rush because I prefer how it looks with minimal makeup. I go for a glowy blush because it acts a blush and highlight in one (less effort) because it adds a healthy glow when I am feeling tired and brightens my face. I love Tanya Burr Cosmetics Illuminating Powder in Peonies Please for this because it’s the perfect pinky tone and is quite subtle so it doesn’t look too much. The shimmer in this is really fine and catches the light beautifully, which makes it really flattering to wear.
- Brows – I hate how long it does to do my brows at the best of times, but when I am in a rush I really edit down my routine because it usually takes me at least 5 minutes to do my brows normally! Tinted brow gel is my best friend when I am in a rush, it adds a bit of colour so I look like I’ve made more effort than I actually have, and tames my brows so I don’t have to worry about them. I have recently gone back to the Loreal Brow Tamer Gel and love the effect that it gives. It has fibres in it so it adds a bit of volume to your brows whilst taming them and it has a slight highlight to the formula to give the effect of real hair.
- One and done eyeshadow – I know eyeshadow may seem a bit high maintenance when you’re in a rush but I feel like it makes such a difference. I opt for a one and done shade that you can apply all over really quick and look a bit more polished. I do this with a lot of my eyeshadows, but some faves are when I’m rushed for time are; Mac All That Glitters or Patina (pictured) or Maybelline Colour Tattoo in On and On Bronze.
- Mascara – I love mascara, I think its one of the products that makes the most difference to your appearance and makes you look more awake. Right now I’m using Loreal Lash Paradise Mascara to give me the lashes I want.
- Lip product – On days when I have minimal time to get ready I will wear a gloss because they are quick to apply and pretty full proof. It is easy to reapply throughout the day too and adds a little something to your look which makes it look like you made more effort than you have. I love NYX’s Butter Gloss in Creme Brulee because it adds a pinky sheen to your lips and lasts pretty well considering its a gloss.
So there was a run down on my 5 minute makeup routine. I hope it gave you some inspiration for when you have the dilemma of sleeping or getting ready in the morning. I think a quick makeup routine is a good compromise of looking alive but allowing yourself to press the snooze button more than you should!